Saturday, March 15, 2014

Assessment Of, For, As Learning


How do you assess your kids in your classroom?  I read a chapter by Lorna Earle called Assessment of Learning, Assessment For Learning, Assessment as Learning. It was interesting to find out what the difference between the three were. It made me think of how I use assessment in my classroom and what I want to improve.

Assessment Of learning was one that I use basically so I have "proof" to show parents. When I first started teaching a fellow teacher told me that we do assessments so that if a parent ever questions us that we have prove to show them. I have always questioned this idea. I understand that the parents want to know how their child is doing but I don't like the idea of everyone being compared to one another and ranking them in this type of assessment.  What are your thoughts about comparing students? Is it important that we have a curve to show the ranking of students?

Assessment For learning is the on going process of collecting data to help understand where your students are and where you need to take them. This I feel is a daily assessment that most teachers do even if you don't see it on paper. I know I do it! I do it because I want to know where to take my teaching next. For example: We just finished a fraction unit and took a test. I use the test to see who gets fractions and who doesn't. I take the information to see where I am going next with my teaching and with whom! Do you have a favorite assessment tool that includes collecting data to help guide you with your teaching?

Assessment As learning is the students are motivated! This happens when students personally monitor what they are learning and use the feedback from this monitoring to make adjustments, adaptations, and even major changes in what they understand! Wouldn't it be great to have all our students be driven and take their learning in their own hands? This is one type of assessment that I would love to see more of in my classroom. I am not quite sure how to achieve this though. Any suggestions?

A new thought came into my mind that I am really dappling with and using in my classroom. This new thought came to me when one of my masters instructors introduced in the beginning of our program, that one of our goals of our class was to see growth. She explained we all come in with different backgrounds and are at different places in our learning. Isn't this the same as our students? They all come in at different levels of learning, with different learning styles and different background knowledge. With this we need to find a balance between the three types of assessment to help our students grow.

I will leave this post with you to ponder this quote....talents

7 comments:

  1. Megan,

    First of all, I love what you've done with your blog! It looks awesome. How did you do all that. I better start playing around with mine. :)

    I agree with having proof. I know that's something I'm always thinking about too. But, you're right, do we always need to compare the students with one another? I don't think so. Although, I realize parents sometimes are used to seeing where they fall against their class or grade. The real goal should be that are the students learning what they need to in their grade level! The quote is so true...We all come in at different places and same goes for our students. Some may pick it up quicker and some may need that extra help. With the assessment AS learning, what are some things that we could do to help them get motivated to want to be in control of their learning? I'd like to learn more about this type of assessment as well. Great ideas Megan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tenille,

      Thanks for the compliment on how cute my blog looks! I can't take the credit for it... I had help from a fellow teacher! Check out the site Cutest Blog on the Block! :)

      I was thinking, one way that we can get our students to be self motivated (like in Assessment As learning) is to set up the right environment where we show the students that we are more concerned about the process instead of the end result. I see so many of my kids just worried about getting "it" done. Instead of how well it is done. They are always coming to me to see if they got it done right instead of them taking the time to look it over to see if they can do it better. Take cursive handwriting for example, in the beginning I would give them a specific number to do and then they had to come to me to show their work. I changed that. Now they have to do as many as it takes until they feel comfortable in making that letter! What are you thoughts?

      Delete
    2. Megan,
      Thanks for the tip. I will check out that site and play around. :)
      I see my students do the same thing...they are so worried about getting it done and don't look at how they can make or do it better. It is so important to teach that to students. When the can see the growth, they are so proud of themselves. I see that with my Guided Reading groups. When they move up a level, they cheer and one group even high fives!! haha They just love it and are so excited!

      Delete
  2. Megan, I can see where you questioning comes from, because I too ponder why we need to give a letter grade. It's really about the growth a students is making. However, I'll be devil's advocate and point out that I also believe parents need to be aware of where there child is at in regards to standards that are in place. I think we owe it to them to show where their child is- either met the standards, not met or exceeded. Clearly, this isn't the end all to the student's abilities but it is a reality. My opinion is we have to make parents aware of the needs and then let them know, this is what I'm doing to meet those needs and let's see what growth is being made.

    In answering your other question about assessing and using data in math, we have spent many hours in Pelican working towards meeting those needs by having CFA's in place and then working in small groups with students who did not meet the standards. It isn't a perfect system, but I do feel that students that need a little more time, do make gains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya,

      I see your point about standards. Let me give you an example of where my thoughts were/are, at my last conference I had a student that has made HUGE gains in reading. This students went up 5 levels and is still not at grade level. To me showing the parents that growth was more important than stressing that the students wasn't at grade level! I feel sometimes when you tell parents that their child doesn't meet standards or even exceeds the standard then they feel like their child is either 'not smart" or "smart." And with learning about mindsets we don't want parents or students to think either way! We want them to understand that they have grown and will continue to grow!

      I agree with your feelings about some just need more time! I am interested in your CFA's...if you are willing and able I would love to see some of your hard work :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely agree with your example student and I would have done the same. My only point is I don't want to mislead parents in believing that there aren't any areas where their student may be falling behind so that when they move to the next grade they aren't caught off guard if things appear to take a downward turn. I know that doesn't really jive with mindset but.....

    Another note, I have a book recommendation for you: Who Says Women Can't be Doctors? by Tanya Lee Stone. It's summary indicated that it was another book that exemplified growth mindset and determination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my grade level, we rank our students from the lowest to the highest according to NWEA testing. The lowest students receive services to get extra help for reading and math. This information is not shared with parents. It has worked for our grade level because a student in my class who I think is really low might not be as low as the student down the hallway. When I meet with parents, I do not compare their child with other students rather I talk about the growth the child has made. I love the quote you shared. It is so true! Every child learns differently and I truly believe in looking at each child's growth versus how they rank to their peers.

    ReplyDelete