Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Community Building




It's back to school time!!!  The first few weeks of school, I strive to set the tone and environment for my students by creating a community where they all feel they belong!  One of the ways I do this is by having my student help set the rules for the classroom.   I involve them in the decision making and how our classroom should be run!  We are team and we need to work as a team!  I teach them that every rule there is can be under the following three words:
 , and    We make a list of rules that are written in a positive manner.  We brainstorm ideas and we think of how they fit under one of the three listed (respect, responsibility, and safe).  The kids do a really good job creating the rules!  I find by doing this, they take ownership in them and follow them better than as if I came up with them on my own and told them.
Here is a link to learn about how to create rules and why it is important to do with students from Responsive Classroom!

8 comments:

  1. Have you found there has been less behavioral issues because of this? I imagine since the kids helped set the classroom rules that students will hold each other accountable if someone happens to step out of line. Has that been the case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that I have found less behavioral issues. I haven't had many issues the first few weeks!!! I can say that it just takes a little reminder and they are back on track! They take ownership in their class rules!

      Delete
    2. Good to hear. I hope things continue to go well for you and kids behave themselves!

      Delete
  2. I also have my class create our classroom rules together. I am impressed each year with at least one great rule that never crosses my mind. Have you ever had this happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I haven't seen a new one come up but I can say it doesn't take the class long to create them! They know what they should and shouldn't be doing :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Megan,
    I am a Rochester B2 learner and am excited to be following your blog! I am a huge proponent of responsive classroom. I can't say I use every component of it, but every morning begins with a meeting. I had my second grade class also come up with their own rules, in the exact same way! After we did that, we came up with a class promise using the three you listed. The students all signed it and it now hangs on our classroom wall. It's a great tool to refer to throughout the year too! I love responsive classroom. Thanks for sharing!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also don't use all the components of it. I would really love to take a class where I would learn all it!

      We hung our class rules up too! The kids didn't sign it ....they all "High Fived" it by tracing, cutting out and decorating their hand with their name on it. Their hands are all around the poster! It fun to do with them!

      Delete