Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Math Journals

        My research was based on the use of Math Journals in a third grade classroom.  I have started implementing our math journals into my math class.  We divided our journals into three sections: math thinking, math working and math learning.  Each section has a purpose. The math thinking is where the students write how they came up with a solution, what they have learned or still have questions on (a place for reflection).   The math working section is where they work out problems.  The problems can be ones that I give them or ones they get from their math workbooks.  The math learning section is designed for a place to write notes and math vocabulary in.  The last thing we added to the back of our notebooks was a string to use as a book mark.  This way they can place it in the spot they are working and it easy for me to find!

      Through my many hours of research I found that writing in Math is beneficial.   According to Marilyn Burns, a national known mathematics educator, “Writing in math class supports learning because it requires students to organize, clarify and reflect on their ideas, all useful processes for making sense of mathematics." Burns has a great book and many great articles on the subject that you can read if you want to see the research on how using math journals can enhance the learning of your own students. Here a link to an article written by Burns called Math Journals Boost Real Learning.




7 comments:

  1. I find your Blog design super engaging. Each post and design pulls me right in. I also appreciate your links to further research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your organization of your math journals. It gives you a chance to see what they know, how they attempt to solve, and finally what they have learned. Very sequential. Do you collect the math journals daily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I collect them when they reflect. I don't always collect to see what they are worked out.

      Delete
  3. Hi Megan,
    Using math journals is something I have thought about introducing to my second grade classroom. I am interested to know how kids respond to it. Are all learners able to complete the tasks in the three sections of their journals? How do you monitor for completion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some students struggle with filling it out completely. I take what they can do and look for growth.

      Delete
  4. I really like this idea! I teach second grade and have been using more notebooks this year for all of my subjects. It IS a great way to keep track of learning-both for the student and the teacher. I feel that a lot is shown through these types of activities. My only questions is this: Do you feel there is enough time for students to reflect every day? Do you have them do it only for certain work or for all daily assignments? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the students reflect everyday. I have them work out problems and answer some questions in them. I use this to show understand.

      Delete