Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Checklists





We having been reading and learning about checklists.  I found that checklists are a simple list to help students learn basic or new skills.  They are simple in that the student needs to state either yes or no to show that they have done something.  A few examples of when to use a check list are: teaching organizational skills or entry level skills.  Checklist help students see what they need to accomplish.  

In writing class, my students are working on a non-fiction research paper.  Where they need to gather information about their animal and then write a paper on it.  To help my students learn the editing and revising steps, I have created a checklist that looks like this: 

Name:___________________  Animal:__________________
Editing Checklist:  Think COPS!
_____Capital letters: beginning of sentences and proper nouns
_____Order and Organization:  Does it make sense?
_____Punctuation:  end of sentences, commas
_____Spelling:  check words for spelling

 



Partners Name:___________________
Editing Checklist:  Think COPS!
_____Capital letters; beginning of sentences and proper nouns
_____Order and Organization:  Does it make sense?
_____Punctuation:  end of sentences, commas

_____Spelling:  check words for spelling

I teach them by using a poster that looks like this: 

I am hoping that the checklist will guide them through the steps on making their paper better!!! 

2 comments:

  1. What I like about your checklist idea is that it's transferable to older grade levels. I would use something similar to this for my students. You mentioned how this could be used to teach organizational skills, have you noticed an improvement in students' organization?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I noticed the most is that my students are not constantly asking me for the answer! YEAH!

    ReplyDelete