Monday, January 12, 2015

Homework

Teacher side of me... A hot topic that we discussed in one of my Master classes was "Homework!"  We researched and discussed: should homework be given out to kids!  I can say that I was one that was on board with not giving out homework to my 3rd graders.  I feel and what I learned is that it is "BUSY" work for them.   So this year I changed how and what type of homework I sent home.  I know I just said I am for not giving out homework...but it is required by our school to hand it out.  So the changes that I made was making my math homework more skill based and giving them more than a night to get it done.  I hand it out on Friday morning and it is due the following Friday.   I know how busy everyones schedules are (mine included).   The only other requirements for at home are to practice their spelling words and to read.  



The parent side of me... I was a little, ok alot, upset with my daughters 6th grade teacher.  My daughter had TONS of homework over our winter break.  Everything from a 12 page editing packet, to an 8 page math packet and reading, to meet her AR goal.  This was not good in my eyes.

I am curious to hear others thoughts on this topic!  Do you pass out homework?  What do you pass out?  Do you give your homework a grade?  What if a student doesn't bring it back?

2 comments:

  1. Homework is indeed a hot topic! I am with you and don't feel that a lot of homework is beneficial. When I give homework it's usually something that needs extra time to complete. For instance, my students will be doing an animal research project where they do a presentation. The research and paper will be completed at school, but the assignment for presentations will be completed at home, then brought back to school. I'm curious: What is a pro and a con regarding homework?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The topic of homework definitely gets people going! My students take a Reading story home on Mondays, study spelling words every night, and usually 1-2 math practice pages each week. I definitely go back and forth... especially since some of my students just need more practice than we have time for during the day! On the other hand, we put in a full day at school for the littler ones so maybe that's enough for them? I'm certainly on the fence. I'm curious how your school came to the decision about requiring homework? For all grades?

    ReplyDelete